Last updated May 29, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Entries have closed – SCINEMA International Science Film Festival is back for 2018.
Let the judging commence for the largest science film festival in the southern hemisphere showcasing the best in science cinema from around the world.
SCINEMA is a celebration of the power of the moving image to inspire the young, satisfy the curious, explain the baffling and ask the impossible.
Australia’s Science Channel proudly presents SCINEMA with the support of BBC Earth.
The entries closed at the end of February and as we speak the judges are already going through a short list of films ahead of their judging weekend on 24 March.
This year 1,539 films were submitted for SCINEMA, with entries from all around the world, including the US, the UK, Brazil and South Korea.
The judges for 2018, with a tough task ahead of them, include:
- Sally O’Donoghue, manager of ABC iView
- Alison Leigh, editorial director of the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers
- Damian Harris, co-founder of SCINEMA, Alumni Engagement and Events Coordinator Griffith University
- Cris Kennedy, co-founder of SCINEMA, Manager Education and Outreach at National Film and Sound Archive of Australia
- Prof Alan Duffy, Lead Scientist of The Royal Institution of Australia, astrophysicist, science communicator
- Maya Newell, award-winning Australian film director of the documentary Gayby Baby
Winners, including the national screening program, tickets details and more to be announced closer to the festival dates.
Catch the best of SCINEMA 2018 at one of our national screenings.
Thursday 31 May – Adelaide @ Palace Nova
Wednesday 6 June – Brisbane @ Palace Barracks
Thursday 7 June – Sydney @ Palace Verona
Wednesday 13 June – Canberra @ Palace Electric Cinema
Thursday 14 June – Melbourne @ Palace Cinema Como
Thursday 21 June – Perth @ Cinema Paradiso
National community screenings will be held during National Science Week, which wouldn’t be possible without the National Science Week community grant.
For more information about SCINEMA International Science Film Festival 2018, visit scinema.australiascience.tv
To enjoy a selection of the winning and finalist films from 2017 and earlier, head to the SCINEMA sub-channel on Australia’s Science Channel: australiascience.tv/category/SCINEMA