Last updated March 22, 2017 at 4:55 pm
If you’ve been on social media over the weekend you may have come across Big Chicken. If you haven’t seen it, prepare to be terrified.
Am I the only person wondering why this chicken is so damn big ??? pic.twitter.com/ZIWmEL2h2w
— LifesBook_Ceo (@LifesBook_Ceo) March 19, 2017
Initial reactions asked whether this was real, a fake video, or a child in a chicken suit. After some research we can confirm this is completely, 100% terrifyingly real.
The chicken is from a breed called Brahma Chicken, developed in America from very large fowls imported from China. At their largest the hens can grow to around 6-6.4 kilograms, and cocks to 7.8-8.4kg. In other words – really huge.
They became the most popular meat breed from the 1850’s to about 1930, but then seem to have dropped off the radar of most people. That is until now, when this video shocked everyone with such a large cock.
But the question you’ve really been asking yourself for the last couple of minutes is….. how many nuggets could it make?
Let’s start with a 7.8kg Brahma cock
Remove 1kg for internal organs (a guesstimate)
Let’s assume 60% of a chicken’s body is meat, the remaining 40% their bones
That leaves us with 4.08kg of pure meat to make our nuggets
Through extensive research we know the average nugget is around 16grams
Meaning one Brahma Chicken could make 250 nuggets.